Tuesday, April 14, 2015

NaPoWriMo 2015 - Eight Short Poems (poems #14-21 for 30/30)

I was trying to do the instructions for a prompt but ended up writing eight short poems instead... I'll post the prompt and the personal notes in a separate entry.



1.
The Arizona Desert

Supple waves emanating upward
into the nostrils of living things
threaten to bake everyone from the inside.

There is death
in the way the sun shines
like a jagged knife
against the edge of the ground.


2.
When I Close My Eyes 

Green light from the heart chakra
fills my lids with joy.
Flashing and sparking,
it reminds me of Love.


3.
The Not Enough

Gives me trouble.
I am blessed to be very content
with so much in my life
that the concept of "not enough"
is bordering on foreign to me.
I think of general things:

The time when I was a child home alone
and the frige was empty
but for mayo and hot dog buns
so I had a mayo and honey sandwich
(not sure why I added honey)

Those times when love wasn't enough
and I had to leave...
one because of money issues and bad sex...
one because it was only supposed to be a fling
and I didn't have enough heart to drag things out further...

More examples...
times when the poems wouldn't come...
when the music didn't lift my feet...
when songs were caught in my throat trapped in silence


4.
The Too Many Things

something that overwhelms like "too much"
too many THINGS...

my spirit felt the need
to take all the THINGS
and move them out into the universe
as though to be alone with just my body
was the only way to really learn to be ALIVE
and not just surviving and existing...
to many SHOES...
too many PANTS...
too much FURNITURE...
too many BOOKS to carry...
the need to purge was strong

And the things that overwhelm...
the unrequited love...
the new job...
school

These are the things that burden


5.
The First Fear

Scary things
The first scary thing
I must tell my story somehow.

The scariest times
were when I was alone
(as a child or an adult).

The latch and the key
the lack of their presence
the idea that life was safe
and did not need supervision
but I did

The darkness on the path
the stories my friends told
children taken
women ruined
stray bullets

A heart breaks
sleep comes with difficulty
misery loves company
because she doesn't want to be alone
this is the first fear.


6.
Change for Them

When I worked in the regular corporate sector,
I always felt like I had to tone down my brightness
because to outshine others was to breed animosity.


7.
Never Budge

I feel so unmoving about so many things.
 I REFUSE to tone myself down
when I am doing something
strictly for my own enjoyment.

Don't tell me to "Calm down".
Don't say "Be Quiet".
I will not curb my enthusiasm


8.
Where does the blue sky go at night?

The blue sky hides
in the arm of the star loops
of Mother Milky Way.
It gives itself to the faerie guides
and crosses the great divide of infinity.
It covers itself in an inky blanket of invisibility
filled with downy points of light
showing through the weave of the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment