Friday, April 3, 2015

NaPoWriMo 2015 - 3/30 - The Unicorn That Went Astray

Continuing my series here of poems from prompts posted to Rachel McKibbens' blogspot. I'm also posting micro-poems to my twitter (https://twitter.com/NiccoleaPoetry). So as you know if you've been reading these posts, this is not the 3rd poem for the month, but the 3rd poem for this series (I numbered my twitter poems separately too). As per usual, I have placed the notes from the process after the poem in case anyone is interested.

Something I did not say the last two posts! I would love to see your attempt at this prompt! Post it in the comments or link to your blog. Happy poeming!

~~~

THE UNICORN THAT WENT ASTRAY

FOUND April 7th:
One Unicorn in Tha Hood after dark alone.
Guessing it is one from the parade over the rainbow in Heatherton nearby that day.
Tried to lure him home with macaroni and cheese but he was too skittish at the time.
Luckily I happened to have some hugs from mom from when I was a kid
in my pocket that he couldn't resist.
Gave him a warm bed since it was an unseasonably cold day.
He's very well behaved. Tag says "Larry" but no further information.
Contact with description of distinctive mark he has and we will return him.
If no contact by the end of the month he will have to go to
Marlin County Livestock Shelter because
my landlord won't let me keep him longer than that.
(show contact info)

  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers



~~~

From Rachel's blog:

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2009 -- POETRY EXERCISE #6 

1. Three things that frighten you

2. Three specific people or places you will never return to

3. A mythological event

4. Three comforts

- - - - - - 


Find one of the above in a place it does not belong. Write a "Found" poem. Not, like, a found poem, but more like an ad. Did you attempt to lure it home? Feed it? Kill it? Ask it out on a date? Drive it to a clinic? Then incorporate the other things from your list. Have fun. Be freaky. Verb the nouns (my favorite thing!) Don't make me come over there and axe murderer staggering towards you in the dark hallway you! 

____________________________________

(This exercise was inspired by Craigslist)


~~~


Personal note on the process:

So when I do these I usually do the ingredients first and then read the rest of the instructions.  It's similar to how I approach cooking from a recipe. :-P


INGREDIENTS:
1. Three things that frighten you
     ~ noises in the dark when I'm walking alone
     ~ getting more and more sick and weak as I get older
     ~ the hood after dark (especially alone)
(this one was hard for me for some reason. The two answers end up being more abstract I think. I don't know.)

2. Three specific people or places you will never return to
     ~ That one ex
     ~ the hood after dark (especially alone)
     ~ ???
(This one was hard too. There are very few people in this world that I have totally given up on. There isn't a place that I absolutely would NEVER go back to... so it was more situational for me. When I wrote "the hood" I realized it was another thing to add to the fear list.)

3. A mythological event
   ~ Unicorn parade across a rainbow
(Not sure if this is really valid for this prompt, but it's the most mythical thing I could think of other than something with mermaids and Rachel is the queen of the mermaid poem so I didn't go there. :-P)

4. Three comforts
     ~ a warm bed on a cold day
     ~ macaroni and cheese
     ~ hugs from mom when I was a kid
(I felt a bit better about this part.)

Then I read the instructions... and I really wish Rachel had done an example on this one but... she didn't so I perused the best of craigslist USA to get some ideas.  I also checked out the strictly platonic w4m for Portland just to see what regular ads look like and the topic intrigued me. Then I went to the Lost and Found section of craigslist

Then came the poeming... sort of... Honestly I came at this with a big "WHAT??" So I just picked the related ones from the list (walking alone at night and the hood). I purposefully did NOT choose the dude from the 2nd list because I refuse to give him the satisfaction since he follows my posts and would totally recognize himself even if I didn't use his name.

So in my mind I wanted to have an idea of the story before I tried to poem. I knew the negatives but wanted to incorporate the Unicorn parade and all the comforts somehow. I don't really feel like the end result is really a poem, but it was a good exercise.

Thanks for reading!
~ Niccolea



No comments:

Post a Comment