Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Trick Tuesday - Bref Double

Hello there! It's Tuesday again and another form to work with! This week is Bref Double. After you read the description and my attempt, feel free to do your own. I'd love to see your work so post in the comments or post the link to your blog entry.  Have fun!

~~~

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bref_double

Bref double

Bref double is a French poetic form consisting of 3 quatrains and a final couplet, making 14 lines.

There is some debate about the rhyme scheme, though in all versions the scheme consists of three rhymes and 4-5 un-rhymed lines, providing the bref double's primary distinction from sonnets[1][2].

According to Lyon, the bref double has a single form with a fixed rhyme scheme and, most distinctively, only the first two quatrains share a final rhyme.

axbc
xaxc
axab
ab

However, other variants are possible, such as:

axxc
bxxc
abxc
ab

Both sources agree that there is no requirement of meter in a bref double, though all lines must be consistent in length.


~~~

My attempt:

TENDERNESS BREAKDOWN

I find my heart has trouble finding it's center some days
writhing in alternating bouts of indecision and apathy
wondering what destiny if any it is supposed to have
and will anyone other than self really and truly care

it is not fitting to the mind these whims of the ribs
becoming a particularly annyoing and worrysome malaise
these oscillating fits of joy, pain, and irony
fold themselves into gusts of cold lonesome air

this forlorn atmosphere, this friendless sky
belies a certain sense of hopelessness
deserted empty space, this abandoned haze
wants desperately some kind of healing salve

there is dissention in all of love's ways
looking to be whole when when existing as only half

*******

PERSONAL NOTE ON THE PROCESS...
For this I did my usual thing with rhymes where I find the words first and then write the poem. I chose the axbc/xaxc/axab/ab rhyme scheme for this poem. I may come back and write another from the other scheme but this catches me up for my 2 forms per day based on the list I have. YAY! :-)



FYI, I will be sailing around the world starting in 2016 so please check out my other website: http://emunaendeavor.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment