Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Trick Tuesday - Balwo

Welcome to New Trick Tuesday!  Every week I will be posting a new poetic form and my attempt at it for your perusal. I would love to see your attempt as well. Please post in the comments or post the link to your blog post.  Happy poeming!


~~~

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balwo


Balwo

Balwo is a style of music and poetry practiced in Djibouti as well as Somalia. Its lyrical contents often deal with love and passion. Balwo was founded by Abdi Sinimo.[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdi_Sinimo]

1. ^ Abdullahi, Mohamed Diriye (2001). Culture and Customs of Somalia. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 172. ISBN 9780313313332.



~~~


My attempt:

UNABASHEDLY (sort of a balwo)

the place where love lives most deeply
can only be fathomed by those within its embrace
who silently extract the meaning of life
from places in their soul they never knew existed
that this era of being is for living
and the living should be to the fullest
the most of fear and doubt and joy and ecstasy

and you have brought that out in me
a courage I did not know I was capable of
gave me delight filled evenings
with the magic of our sexuality
I am washed with the purity of your affection
I am bathed with the sincerity of your attention
give me more of this good thing
push me further over the edge
this is what I am waiting for
this is what makes it all worth it


*******

PERSONAL NOTE ON THE PROCESS...
Since I don't speak the languages of Djibouti or Somalia, not sure what to do with the little bit information found when I searched for this musical form. SO... I just wrote about of love and passion.

I was thinking about doing the poem in the rhythm/meter of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7oVy6mICQ and see how it works, but I don't have the patience for that right now. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment